Because of the pandemic, we now live a different everyday life. One of the changes is unfortunately the frequent and prolonged use of the protective mask that has become routine in order to protect ourselves and those around us from the transmission of the coronavirus.
However, continuous use of the mask may also cause some minor or major skin problems, such as acne. And despite the fact that the pimples remain hidden behind the mask, the acne is there.
The good news, of course, is that by taking care of proper hygiene and cleaning the face, as well as the mask, you can minimize the outbreak of pimples.
What is “mascne” and what causes it?
The compound word mascne or maskne comes from mask and acne. In essence, this is acne mechanica, as the experts call it. That is, an acne caused on the lower part of the face by the protective mask and has many different forms of manifestation. Depending on how sensitive each person’s skin is, as well as their predisposition to acne, the intensity of the problem is greater or lesser.
This phenomenon is not new to everyone. Doctors, nurses and some athletes have known this for years. However, the generalization of mask use due to coronavirus has made it more intense.
This reusable protective cloth or disposable surgical mask it does not allow the skin to breathe properly and causes friction – irritation, simultaneously removing the skin’s natural oils. This results in the increased oil and sebum production from the skin.
An even more important factor for the creation of pimples is the moisture created between fabric and skin from breath and sweat. The bacteria trapped in between find fertile ground for their growth and proliferation.
Thus, the resources may become blocked and cause acne breakouts on the parts of the face where they come into contact with the mask.
And of course, let’s not forget that anxiety which actively contributes to the appearance of pimples on the face. According to research, unfortunately this has increased a lot during the pandemic period.
However, apart from the above factors during the application of the mask, there are also causes due to the mask itself. For example, the wrong washing of textile, but also the infrequently changing the mask when it gets wet can lead to acne.
In case you already have the problem, there are 7 natural ways to get rid of pimples on the face fast. The ideal, however, is prevention, which we will analyze below.
Secrets to prevent or stop acne from the protection mask
A few simple daily habits, as well as proper cleaning – care of the face and the mask can help to minimize the appearance of mascne. Besides, acne from the mask is not the same as the classic dermatological condition, unless of course you already suffer from it and this protective cover has made it worse.
In addition to the well-known tips such as hand disinfection for putting on and removing the maskAs well as avoid touching the face us, there are a few more things that can help.
Selection and use of the face protection mask
- Prefer cloth masks made of light materials and plant fibers, such as cotton, silk or satin. They trap less moisture and stress the skin less than synthetic ones.
- Always use a clean face mask, washed at high temperature (with fragrance-free detergent that won’t irritate the skin) and ironed to sterilize.
- Before wearing the mask and after taking it off, be sure to clean your face with a mild cleansing product to remove the bacteria that accumulates in the skin-fabric interface.
- The mask should be changed as soon as it gets wet.
Tips for facial care against acne from the protection mask
- Avoid harsh cleansing products and excessive facial exfoliation, as they tend to dehydrate the skin.
- Make sure to moisturize your face properly and wear your sunscreen to strengthen the skin’s natural barrier.
- Put on the moisturizer at least 15 minutes before applying the mask and apply a little more to the places where friction is created.
- Avoid using make up, because it tends to close the pores of the skin. So he doesn’t breathe properly, making the situation even worse.
- Keep your lips moisturized, but avoid lipstick as it may stick to the mask.
And a general tip that is important to always follow: Drink enough water to keep your body and skin hydrated. In this way, its elasticity is increased and acne flare-ups are prevented.