Food choices, smoking, lifestyle and oral hygiene are the causes of the yellowing of your smile. Here are all the tricks for a whiter smile!
Whiter smile: causes of yellowing
There are many causes of yellowing of teeth. One of them is stress. This can act on the immune system causing a weakening of the defenses, determining the presence of pathogenic bacteria in the dental plaque and ending up causing periodontitis, gingivitis and tooth decay. In case of severe stress, it is important not to lower the care towards your oral hygiene.
Whiter smile: is the toothbrush really clean?
One of the most common mistakes is using a toothbrush that is not very clean. Here are 6 mistakes to avoid:
- Keep the toothbrush near the toilet: the toilet flush produces a spray that contains bacteria and the latter, through the air, could reach the toothbrush (if it is nearby) and contaminate it. The remedy: Always close the toilet seat before flushing to avoid harmful back splashes.
- Store your toothbrush near the kitchen sink
- Using the toothbrush cover: If you’ve always thought this was a great idea in your life, it might not be. Against all odds, it’s not hygienic.
- Putting several toothbrushes in contact: this is certainly a huge mistake, and one of the most common.
- Contaminate toothbrushes with cleaning products: keep your toothbrush away from cleaning products, as the chemical components could be harmful to your health if ingested. The fix: Make sure you store your toothbrush in a place where chemical particles can’t get to it.
- Don’t change your toothbrushes often enough: you have to do it every 2 to 3 months
Watch out for nutrition
The first tip to keep in mind to have white and healthy teeth is to remember to rinse your mouth well after ingesting some drinks or some foods that tend to stain your teeth. Among them, the most common ones are:
- Dark drinks like red wine
- Fruit juices such as cranberry juice.
Rinsing the mouth after taking it is a good strategy to prevent stains from forming on the teeth, on the contrary, dentists advise against brushing your teeth immediately after, since the abrasive action of the toothbrush with the toothpaste, combined with the coffee residues on the tooth, it can contribute to the deterioration of the enamel and, consequently, to the yellowing of the tooth.
There are also some foods that can help us keep our teeth white, for example, a rich diet
Baking soda is one of the natural whitening remedies. You need to dissolve a teaspoon of bicarbonate in water and pass it over your teeth with a toothbrush, without applying too much force, it has a visibly whitening effect on the tooth, if repeated no more than once a month. It is important, however, to underline that repeating this practice too often can have serious contraindications: the corrosion of the teeth and an increase in sensitivity.